Samuel Scott is Senior Director of SEO and Digital Marketing at The Cline Group. His career has spanned more than ten years in print and online journalism, online publishing, entrepreneurship, and all aspects of Internet marketing. Scott currently develops and directs the execution of integrated digital-marketing strategies for agency clients. He also contributes to publications including Moz and the Times of Israel and has been quoted or cited by Search Engine Land, The New York Times, and CIO.
Connect With Me!
- So, You Want to Work in Israel’s SEO Industry? 10 September 2014This essay originally appeared at the Times of Israel. By Samuel Scott Many immigrants to Israel who are not fluent in Hebrew — especially those who are native English speakers — end up working in some type of sales or marketing position that focuses on selling to customers or clients in their native countries. Six […]
- What Public Relations Can Learn From SEO 24 July 2014This essay originally appeared at The Cline Group. By Samuel Scott Insert links into press releases that include targeted keywords in the text of the links and then publish and distribute them throughout the Internet. If you work in public relations, that statement is probably what you think when you hear the term “SEO.” But […]
- When Missiles Start Falling at Work 14 July 2014This essay originally appeared on LinkedIn Today. TEL AVIV – The air-raid sirens woke me up in the morning. My eyes flashed open in bed in my top-floor apartment here in Israel’s high-tech capital as the warning sounds echoed throughout the neighborhood and signaled that I had fifteen seconds to take shelter in my building’s […]
- Google is Killing “SEO” Press Releases. Thank You, Google! 9 July 2014This essay originally appeared at The Cline Group. By Samuel Scott I don’t think I’ve ever been as happy about a Google algorithm update as I’ve been with Panda 4.0. Google rolled out the change on May 20. Search Engine Land’s Barry Schwartz noticed on May 29 that several major press-release websites were hit. PR Newswire announced […]
- How to Speak at Marketing Conferences 30 June 2014This essay originally appeared at The Cline Group. By Samuel Scott Speaking at conferences is an underrated marketing strategy. It’s one thing to focus, for example, on SEO, social media, and lead generation – but it’s all online and impersonal. It’s also beneficial to be in the real world and connect with flesh-and-blood people. Of […]
- How to Get Your Business Into Wikipedia 23 June 2014This essay originally appeared at The Cline Group. By Samuel Scott “Get us in Wikipedia.” It’s a request that many of our clients have. But most of the time, they do not understand the process. It’s not just about creating a user account, writing the text that you want, and clicking a few buttons. It’s […]
- Owned vs. Earned Media: When to Use What 15 May 2014This essay originally appeared at The Cline Group. By Samuel Scott Owned media, as Cara Tarbaj summarizes at Social Media Today, is content that you publish on channels that you control (such as your website). Earned media is when others publish content about you. Both have their benefits and drawbacks, and it is crucial to […]
- There’s No Such Thing as “Online Marketing” 24 April 2014This post originally appeared at LinkedIn Today. By Samuel Scott Linkbuilders often ask themselves this question (to avoid potential penalties): “Would I want this link if Google did not exist?” The smarter that search engines become, the more I argue that all digital marketers should ask themselves: “How would I market my company and website […]
- 5 Myths About SEO You Need to Forget 10 April 2014A friend of mine has been thinking about getting into SEO and digital marketing, and he asked me for some thoughts on where to start. After reflecting on what I have learned over the years, I jotted down these common myths to ignore as a start. I hope you will find them as useful as […]
- PR Strategies for Digital Marketers (SMX West 2014) 18 March 2014This essay originally appeared at The Cline Group. By Samuel Scott SAN JOSE, California – I had the honor of speaking at Search Marketing Expo (SMX) West for The Cline Group last week on the topic of how digital marketers can use traditional public-relations strategies to build brands, earn links, and get media coverage. The […]