SELL MORE STUFF!
Insightful and entertaining marketing insights.
Performances — not speeches or sales pitches.
After a career in journalism and years in marketing, Samuel Scott is now a professional keynote marketing speaker and member of Toastmasters International as well as the writer of The Promotion Fix column for The Drum and Head of Marketing for the IT mapping platform Faddom.
He is American and Israeli and lives in Tel Aviv. Follow him on Twitter, LinkedIn, and Mastodon.
A 60-Second Introduction
(See full speeches: Integrated Advertising in 2023 and How Brand Purpose Helps Companies)
Upcoming Speaking Appearances
May — Goa, India — Date held
September 25 — Copenhagen, Denmark — Date Held
November 9 — Prague, Czech Republic — TBA
October — Warsaw, Poland — Date Held
Samuel’s Main Tech Keynote Speech
EVERYTHING ONLINE IS FAKE: The Present Danger and Future Promise of Today’s Digital World
In this keynote address, Samuel Scott begins with an examination of how the foundation of the current iteration of the internet causes nearly everything online to be fake or somehow misrepresented — with negative consequences for everything from politics to business to society. But then he shows how human optimism and ingenuity can remake the internet for good and lead humanity into the future.
— Learn why much of the online world is fake, inaccurate, and fraudulent.
— Understand how this harms business, politics, and society in general.
— Get inspired by how we can make the Internet better to propel us into a better future.
Other Marketing Keynote Talks
PROTECT YOUR BUDGET: Defending Marketing Campaigns in Difficult Economic Times
In any recessionary environment, businesses instinctively want to cut advertising budgets — especially at the top of the funnel. In this talk, Samuel will give an introduction to Brand 101, demonstrate how brand advertising works, and show the benefits of building a strong brand. Then, he will show how to translate general marketing and advertising concepts into CFO-speak and financial metrics into CMO-speak so that both sides will understand each other. After all, cutting brand advertising spend in the short term will only hurt companies in the long term after the economy recovers.
— Understand how brand advertising gets leads and sales today and tomorrow, increases conversion rates, and raises pricing power over the short- and long-term.
— See why cutting brand advertising spend today harms companies tomorrow — even long after recessions are over.
— Learn how to defend your top-of-the-funnel brand advertising spend to CFOs, CEOs, and boards of directors.
BETTER TOGETHER: How Brand and Performance Advertising Both Fuel Growth
The marketing world has become obsessed with online direct response and short-termism, both of which are hurting long-term advertising effectiveness. In this talk, Samuel argues that we need to get out of our bubble and rethink our approach to media planning today by integrating traditional and online channels as well as long-term and short-term strategies in the most effective ways. Here, he will show how both types of advertising can work together for maximum effectiveness.
— Learn the difference between “brand” and “performance” advertising tactics.
— See how they both “perform” — they just perform in different ways and in different time frames.
— Understand how to build marcom campaigns that both get sales today and build brands for more future sales tomorrow.
ACTIONS, NOT ADS: Brand Purpose and Sustainability in a Schizophrenic Consumer World
Many consumers say they prefer sustainable products and do not want to support sweatshops, but they still often buy the cheapest clothing and running shoes made in such places anyway. Companies today want to do better, but they are getting such mixed signals from customers. In this keynote, Samuel will show how companies can navigate this complex environment and both help the world and sell more products at the same time. The key to understand: Actual brand purpose goes far beyond just saying nice stuff in ads, and the benefits go far beyond just selling more stuff.
— See four examples of companies in various industries and countries that are using brand purpose to help both the world and their businesses.
DIGITAL ATTRIBUTION IS DEAD: Why You Need Econometrics and Controlled Tests for Accurate Analytics
The marketing industry is seeing the planned death of third-party cookies, more and more using ad blockers that also stop scripts such as Google Analytics from running, and the iOS 14 update that stopped ad tracking on Apple devices. Our analytics are not accurate — and, in fact, they never had been at all. For twenty years, marketers have been obsessed with digital attribution — and that obsession has been wrong. In this keynote, Samuel will show the way forward for when we measure our advertising campaigns and attribute our results.
(For a lengthy discussion on this topic, read this column of mine in The Drum.)
— See why digital attribution is dying across all online and internet-based channels
— Understand why last-touch attribution, first-touch attribution, and multi-touch attribution are all wrong and provide completely wrong information in the first place
— Learn about econometrics and controlled tests — the other major two methods of attribution — and how to use them to have more accurate information
GET READY NOW: The 15 Things That Marketers Need to Know for 2024
In this wide-ranging keynote taking everyone on a magical mystery tour through the entire marketing industry, Samuel Scott will dispel myths, reveal unconventional best practices, and show the eternal truths that people should know in areas ranging from product to distribution to pricing to advertising to SEO to public relations in both B2C and B2B marketing.
Topics include: Good vs. bad metrics to use, how to use both brand and performance advertising, the importance of mental availability, how to recognize survivorship bias, the difference between PR and publicity, when dashboards are not truthful, the best way to build backlinks, the costs of ad fraud, what is real brand purpose, how B2B markets really operate, and the dangers of growth at all costs.
From Europe to South America, Samuel has delivered keynote addresses and moderated panels at business events for clients, employees, and customers.
Both virtually and in person, Samuel has given inspirational and informative breakout and keynote addresses at events in the marketing and business worlds.
Today, many companies and conferences are holding their events online. Samuel now uses his years of experience in professional speaking to keynote events over any streaming platform of choice.
Testimonials & Featured Clients
"Thank you so much for the best 25 minutes I’ve spent in a long time!"
— Hanne Kjeldstadli Hansen, head of customer care at Simployer
“Thank God for someone talking some f--king sense!”
— Claire Strickett, planner and strategist at London creative agency VCCP
"Not only did he deliver a great presentation full of data and relevant insights, he was also super fun and easy to work with. If you are looking for a reliable speaker covering the latest marketing trends, contact Samuel!"
— Valerija Prevolsek, founder of the SEMPL conference in Slovenia
"Samuel was delivering a presentation at our client and partner event. He had a perfect 30-minute speech about how different media works these days, busting myths and hitting some most painful topics for the whole industry. I can definitely recommend him for any type of event willing to get fresh air i the world of communication bubbles."
— Mindaugas Rakauskas, commercial director at TV3 Lithuania
"Samuel spoke at ProcureCon Marketing Europe 2019 in London, on 'Dispelling the 6 biggest myths in the marketing industry today', and did a brilliant job - he was engaging, interesting and provocative, with an interactive presentation. Recommended!"
—Diane Mekie, conference director for WBR’s ProcureCon Marketing Europe in London
"I came across Samuel several years ago. His articles in The Drum are extremely spot on. We engaged Samuel to speak at our annual conference DSAD. An annual conference that normally attracts 400 advertisers. In 2020, due to the Covid 19 situation the conference was set up as a hybrid. Samuel attended remotely with a prerecorded presentation since it was not possible to travel from Tel Aviv to Norway at the time. Samuel did a very good presentation at this hybrid event. I will certainly recommend Samuel as a keynote speaker."
"Samuel spoke at my event 600Minutes Customer Experience on the 5th of December 2019 and was very much appreciated by the attendees. The event was attended by the leaders within marketing and customer experience from the largest companies of Norway. Many of the attendees gave great praise and commented that they would have wished to hear more or to have him back for other editions of the event. Thank you for coming, Samuel!"
"Samuel Scott spoke to over 2000 paid delegates at Zee MELT 2019 - India's biggest conference that brings marketing, communications and technology under one roof. His thirty minute talk on the biggest myths in the adtech world was extremely well received by our delegates. Beyond the talk, Samuel made it a point to interact with many of the delegates and the other speakers as well, which was highly appreciated."
— Rajesh Kejriwal, founder and CEO of Kyoorius Group in India
Past Presentations and Talks
- One to One Digital Marketing (Biarritz, France) — October 2021
- Virtual Talks — 14 talks in 2020 and 2021
- Management Events — multiple events throughout Europe in 2019
- SEMPL (Portoroz, Slovenia) — November 2019
- Bogazici University (Istanbul, Turkey) — November 2019
- World Marketing Summit (London, England) — November 2019
- DCX Digital Content Expo (Berlin, Germany) — October 2019
- TV3 (Vilnius, Lithuania) — September 2019
- ProcureCon Marketing (London, England) — June 2019
- ZeeMelt (Mumbai, India) — May 2019
- AIM Conference (Los Angeles, California) — May 2019
- Share Algarve (Lisbon, Portugal) — April 2019
- Synergy Digital Forum (Moscow, Russia) — March 2019
- Marketing Festival (Prague, Czech Republic) — March 2019
- The European Summit (Lisbon, Portugal) — March 2019
- Emerce Performance — (November 2018)
- Fifteen Seconds (Graz, Austria) — June 2018
- Synergy Digital Forum (Moscow, Russia) — May 2018
- FICCI Frames (Mumbai, India) — March 2018
- Digital Copenhagen (Copenhagen, Denmark) — November 2017
- CASBAA (Macau) — November 2017
- Digitalzone (Istanbul, Turkey) — October 2017
- Sanoma Media (Helsinki, Finland) — October 2017
- Facebook Brand Summit (Buenos Aires, Argentina) — April 2017
- Facebook Brand Summit (Bogota, Colombia) — April 2017
- Facebook Brand Summit (Mexico City, Mexico) — April 2017
- LiMA DAY (Vilnius, Lithuania) — November 2016
- MozCon (Seattle, Washington) — September 2016
- Content Marketing Masters (Berlin, Germany) — June 2016
- Kahenacon Advanced (Tel Aviv, Israel) — November 2015
- Performance Marketing Insights (London, England) — October 2015
- BrightonSEO (Brighton, England) — April 2015
- SMX West (San Jose, California) — March 2014
- SMX Milan (Milan, Italy) — November 2013
- Private talks at the offices of companies
- For a live, physical appearance: Starting at USD $10,000 plus hotel, meals, local transfers, and business travel on El Al (with any transfers on Star Alliance airlines) from Tel Aviv booked by the event or agency + any needed coronavirus testing for return to Israel + video and pictures of the speech
- For a live or recorded virtual appearance: Based on what you need
- Workshop and speaking coach fees are customized based on what you need
- All packages require a 50% advance payment deposit to reserve the dates and for the work beforehand
- Guarantee: If your event is postponed or canceled for any reason, the 50% deposit will automatically go towards a future appearance without needing to pay again